1 June 2016
- Key information on the 19 September High-level Meeting on refugees and migrants
- 2016 (self-organized) Civil Society HLM Action Committee
- Survey for Civil Society – what action do you want the UN and governments to take?
- UN-led civil society steering committee
- UN opens registration/application for civil society to participate and speak
Prompted by the record numbers of refugees and migrants moving across borders, the United Nations (UN) General Assembly will, for the first time ever, host a High-level Meeting on addressing large movements of refugees and migrants (HLM). The meeting aims to bring together heads of states and also civil society actors and other stakeholders on 19 September 2016 in New York.
According to the dedicated UN website for the HLM, the meeting presents us with “a watershed moment to strengthen governance of international migration and a unique opportunity for creating a more responsible, predictable system for responding to large movements of refugees and migrants”.
A lot will be happening in the coming weeks and months in preparation for this high-level meeting. Civil society needs to be involved, informed and heard throughout the process. Therefore we are committed to sending you regular updates on developments and civil society actions